Worcester Business Sales Attorneys Assist with Transactions
Confident counsel for those buying or selling a business
There are risks involved with both buying and selling businesses — both sides may get less than they bargained for. The only way to alleviate those risks is to proceed with caution and to invest the necessary time and energy to fully understand the transaction. Consulting a business sales lawyer in Worcester is an excellent way to gain guidance and perspective in what can be a complicated process. Our attorneys at Gould & Ettenberg, P.C. have assisted both buyers and sellers interested in entering this type of business agreement. From identifying a potential buyer or seller to actually transferring the business, we can provide the knowledge and experience you need to proceed with confidence.
Necessary steps in business purchases
Buying or selling a business is a multistep process. Our Worcester business attorneys provide experienced legal advice and connect our clients with the professional services they need at each step:
- Finding a buyer or seller —Locating an existing business that suits your needs is a challenging first step for prospective buyers. Our attorneys can help aspiring buyers identify what’s important to them and then vet potential purchases to find a good match.
- Identifying the necessary process — The exact legal process for transferring a business depends greatly on how the business is organized. A sole proprietorship may need to transfer its assets individually. A partnership may need to sell its assets and then dissolve whereas a corporation or LLC can be transferred wholesale. An experienced business lawyer understands the requirements of each entity and can determine how best to proceed.
- Negotiating the business agreement — Contracts governing the sale of a business must address issues such as defining what the business includes, establishing a purchase price, assigning preexisting liabilities and providing for the interests of existing stakeholders. Our attorneys have negotiated and drafted these complex agreements for all types and sizes of business sales.
- Due diligence — Fully understanding the value of a business requires close inspection and analysis. We help our clients on both sides of these transactions identify the issues they need to investigate and interact appropriately during due diligence.
- Transferring the company — Once all conditions are met and due diligence is completed, our team can help buyers and sellers perform the steps necessary to actually transfer the company.
Contact a firm that has facilitated business sales for more than three decades
Whether you are interested in acquiring an established business or cashing out after a long and successful run, a Worcester business purchase lawyer from Gould & Ettenberg, P.C. can guide you through the process of buying or selling a business. Call us at 508-752-6733 or contact us online to set up a consultation with a caring and experienced attorney today. We are conveniently located in downtown Worcester with easy access to both state and federal courthouses as well as convenient parking.